Coquitlam Heritage Society’s mission is to preserve, honour & promote the heritage of Coquitlam through outreach in the form of events, workshops and the operation of Mackin House Museum.

Mackin House is an Edwardian home built in 1909 as a company home for the second in command at the Fraser Mills Lumber Company. It is staged with period appropriate furniture and artifacts to give visitors a sense of what life in Coquitlam would have been like for someone living in the upper middle class. We have rotating yearly exhibits that highlight aspects of Coquitlam’s rich history and culture.

Mackin House Museum

Tuesday-Friday

11am to 5pm

Saturday & Sunday

10am to 4pm


Current Exhibits

Home Front: World War II September 10, 2019 to June 6, 2020 at Mackin House

Lacrosse: A Truly Canadian Sport April 2019 to October 2019 at Poirier Sports Complex


Upcoming Events


Recent News & Articles


Collection Highlight

Tonka Toys have been a staple in many childhoods. The brand dates back to 1947, the name “Tonka” being a variation on a Dakota Sioux word meaning “great” or “big”. This truck came from Trev’s store, located at 1121 Brunette Avenue, near what was the Coquitlam City hall, just across the street from Mackin House and Place des Arts. Trev’s was one of the longest running businesses in Coquitlam, which began as Filiatraults Barber shop in the early 1930s.  Anne Bohonos Protheroe was hired on as a hair dresser. When Mr. Filiartrault quit the business, Anne bought the shop from him and renamed it Anne’s beauty shop. Anne married Trevor James Protheroe in 1930. They launched Trev’s fountain lunch at the same time. Eventually the business expanded to include a light lunch counter, store, men’s club, and even a kindergarten for a while in the 1940s.  You can view the truck, and its story, along with other community family heirloom stories, at  Belonging: Treasured Pieces of Our Past  at Place des Arts until April 27.

Tonka Toys have been a staple in many childhoods. The brand dates back to 1947, the name “Tonka” being a variation on a Dakota Sioux word meaning “great” or “big”. This truck came from Trev’s store, located at 1121 Brunette Avenue, near what was the Coquitlam City hall, just across the street from Mackin House and Place des Arts. Trev’s was one of the longest running businesses in Coquitlam, which began as Filiatraults Barber shop in the early 1930s.

Anne Bohonos Protheroe was hired on as a hair dresser. When Mr. Filiartrault quit the business, Anne bought the shop from him and renamed it Anne’s beauty shop. Anne married Trevor James Protheroe in 1930. They launched Trev’s fountain lunch at the same time. Eventually the business expanded to include a light lunch counter, store, men’s club, and even a kindergarten for a while in the 1940s.

You can view the truck, and its story, along with other community family heirloom stories, at Belonging: Treasured Pieces of Our Past at Place des Arts until April 27.